Although the cemetery is located behind Lyonsville Congregational Church and shares the name, the two are entirely separate entities and the cemetery is non-denominational (i.e. not restricted to any particular or specific religious denomination, such as Congregational). It is a not-for-profit venture run by a volunteer board: The Lyonsville Cemetery Association. Everyone is welcome at Lyonsville Cemetery!
The Lyonsville Cemetery Association can be contacted at Lyonsville.firstname.lastname@example.org. Or,
6871 Joliet Rd.
Indian Head Park, IL 60525
They can answer your questions, put you on their mailing list to receive a newsletter, or let you know when their next meeting is planned. Whether you have a loved one interred at Lyonsville, would like to know more about or become involved with preservation efforts, or are simply interested in the history of the cemetery, everyone is invited to attend one of the board meetings. They meet in the lounge of Lyonsville church. 2019 meetings are scheduled for:
February 12th at 7:00 p.m.
May 14th at 7:00 p.m.
August 13th at 7:00 p.m.
November 12th at 7:00 p.m.
Lyonsville Cemetery is a cemetery in the midst of suburbia that continues to maintain the look and nostalgic feel of a rural cemetery. The cemetery is rich in local history with the first burial taking place in 1833. Many of the area’s founding families are buried here and it is the final resting place of veterans of every U.S. conflict from the War of 1812 through Viet Nam.
AVAILABILITY OF GRAVES AND PRICING
There are still a substantial number of plots available at Lyonsville. They can be purchased individually or in adjacent multiples.
The purchase of a single plot is currently $850. A single plot may contain one full body burial, a combination of a full body burial and an ash inurnment, or two ash inurnments. There is an additional fee of $950 to open/close a grave for a full body burial.
The purchase of a plot for an Ash Burial is currently $800 in a specially designated section of the cemetery. There is an additional fee of $150 to open/close the grave if done by a member of The Lyonsville Cemetery Board. If we need to have the grave digger prepare the ground, the fee would be $350.00 to open/close the grave.
Funerals may only be scheduled on Monday through Saturday. Sunday funerals are not permitted.
Please note that all pricing is subject to change dependent upon weather conditions.
Lyonsville Cemetery does not permit “green burials”.
GENTLE REMINDERS ABOUT VISITING THE CEMETERY
– Do not drive off the designated roadways within the cemetery. We recognize the possibility that another vehicle could potentially block your path, but there are very old, unmarked graves near the roadways and they can easily collapse under the weight of even the smallest car.
– Limit plantings to annuals or perennials that are not invasive such as hosta.
– The cemetery provides watering cans; please refrain from leaving plastic jugs near watering stations.
– Refrain from bringing flowers in vases containing water to avoid mosquito infestation.
– If you visit with a canine companion, please pick up after them.
– REMEMBER: Artificial flowers and seasonal decorations are removed from the cemetery by December 1st of each year. Christmas wreaths and decorations are removed February 1st. If you wish to reuse your decorations but cannot remove them by that date, please contact us.
AND MOST IMPORTANTLY…
REPORT ANYTHING THAT NEEDS OUR ATTENTION!